Monday, July 19, 2010

The Year That Film Forgot

Is it possible that the year 2010 could down in history as the worst year for movies? This is a thought that has plagued my movie mind for quite a good portion of the year so far. I am just finding that the more large release movies that I see this year, the more I find myself disappointed with what has been put out.

More and more remakes and sequels seem to be the large portion of movies that debut each and every week at the box office, with movies such as Nightmare On Elm Street, The A-Team, The Karate Kid, and Shrek 4 among those titles and each of which failed to delivery anything unique. Well I should retract that and state The Karate Kid was almost worth the time to watch mostly due to Jackie Chan. However there has just been a real lack of original or unique film making that is out this year.

If you want to know what movies I feel have topped the list of ones I have seen so far this year well look no further then the current #1 film at the box office "Inception". Christopher Nolan's first film since his remarkable "Dark Knight" is brilliant from start to finish. "Inception" was a brain teaser that is remarkably acted, directed, scripted, and filmed. There is nothing negative to report about it and in my humble opinion is the best movie that has been put out in 2010 so far. The other two movies that deserve to top the list are Toy Story 3 which continues the Pixar pattern of producing great movies each and every year, and the surprise hit from Dreamworks "How To Train Your Dragon".

I will admit that there has been movies I enjoyed this year such as "I Love You Phillip Morris", "Hot TuB Time Machine", and "Iron Man 2", but it just seems like none of the movies are reaching for the status of unforgettable and simply settling for good enough.

It is sad to see that 3D movies are rocking the box office records, turns out audiences would rather pay good money for three dimensional images then go and witness a marvel in story telling. Even movies that were in 3d like Toy Story 3 and How To Train Your Dragon were simply placed in 3D due to the current fad, lucky enough for us that both these movies utilized story and substance and left the 3D as nothing more then an added kicker for audiences who want that in their movies. I hope that the fall season will recover what has been a very dead summer season for movies.

If not then I hope audiences continue to realize the brilliance of Christopher Nolan's "Inception", and I hope that all of you reading this will take the time to go and witness such a remarkable visionary piece of work.

3 comments:

  1. I think you are definitely on to something Rob. I just went through the list of 2010 movies to try to find something that would make a Top 10 list in any category and could not find one.

    I have not yet seen Inception, but have heard good things.

    My favorite movies to date would be Robin Hood and Toy Story 3. I really liked the different take on the Robin Hood story and maybe it is because of the English Archer angle and all the Bernard Cornwell novels I have read about the English Archers.

    I am hoping the second half of the year is much better than the first half.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While there have been some duds and I, too, am praying for 3D to die (please say it will - perhaps SAW 3D will kill it?), I thought 'I Am Love,' 'Please Give,' 'The Kids are All Right,' & 'Greenberg' were all very refreshing movies. I'm not sure I saw much of anything in 2009 that inspired me quite as much as 'I Am Love' or straight-up entertained me like 'The Kids are All Right.' I thought 'Daybreakers' was surprisingly fun and thought-provoking for that genre. Some movies I'm looking forward to: Inception (want to see it even more now), True Grit (Coens), Tree of Life (Malick), The Social Network (Fincher), You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger (Woody Allen), Never Let Me Go (Romanek) and Sofia Coppola's new movie Somewhere. I'm hopeful that this year will be better than last year which I found to be rather pitiful with very few bright spots (Tyson, Crazy Heart, Brothers (regardless of the melodrama).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brooklyn,

    I have not yet seen the movies that you listed as tops for this year, but now you have my curiosity on those films up. I will have to take the time to watch them here soon so I can see what I think of them also. Inception, Toy Story 3, and How To Train Your Dragon have been the only gems I have seen so far, but there still is a list of movies I have yet to see. I just have been shocked that there has not been a large amount of unique movies out this year. We are at the start of a new decade and it is a rough start for the movie scene. I got some good news though, in 2013 I have confirmed that the Documentary Movie "When Police Become Prey" which si something that revolves around my own family and a situation that happened to us is going to now be adapted into a independent full length feature movie. I am unable to give details as to the Producer/Director who are attached at the moment, but I do know that it has been mentioned that they wish to have me on board to help with the movies production to some degree. I am not sure what they will be having me do yet but I super excited to finally be getting a foot in the door to my own movie making career.

    ReplyDelete

Other

Cinema Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory