Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Category Highlight - Post-Apocalyptic Thrillers

I guess I have always been a futurist. I am an early-adapter for all types of technology, I read hacker thriller books and of course I love Post-Apocalyptic Thriller movies.

Using Rankography, I created this category for Post-Apocalyptic Thrillers. Now to be fair, not all of these are actually Post-Apocalypse which would imply the world was largely destroyed. However, they are all set far in a future where things have taken a nasty turn for humans and the heros are fighting for the human survival.

Here is my current list of favorites:

  • Running Man, The
  • Road Warrior, The
  • Matrix, The
  • Total Recall
  • Blade Runner
  • Terminator, The
  • Stand, The
  • Book of Eli, The
  • Minority Report
  • RoboCop
  • Terminator 2
  • Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

One of the best features of the site though, is that I can browse through all the rankings of all the other people that have ranked the category and find other similar movies that I did not know of. So take a spin through the lists and see if you can find some good ones for your Netflix queue.

4 comments:

  1. I thought both 'Children of Men' (2006) and 'The Road' (2009) were both very powerful, thought-provoking post-apocalyptic films. More story driven than effects driven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about Time of the Wolf?! Haneke's post apocolyptic tale is certainly an exercise in patience, but absolutely terrifying in its portrayal of humanity devolving in such horrible times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought Children of Men, was a really good film, as Brooklyn said, very powerful, very emotion driven, although not the best acting, an some dodgy prop positioning, such as the boat at the end..

    Still haven't seen The Road, but really want to..

    Bethsda should talk to some film companies about making a film of Fallout 3, the story is very good, ok, over-exaggerated enemies, but in a post-apocalyptic future anything could happen.

    I may give 'Time of the Wolf' a watch too, sounds fair good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not seen Children of Men but want to. I did not think The Road really belonged on this list because it really wasn't a Thriller.

    It is a very emotional, powerful and depressing movie, but not a thriller. I think you should definitely see it, but understand what you are in for. It is more like the grim reality of what life would really be like in a Post-Apocalyptic setting.

    ReplyDelete

Other

Cinema Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory